MLP:FiM arrives at TiagoJoao.com!
(now called TiagoJMonteiro.wordpress.com)
For the last few months, I’ve discovered the latest My Little Pony cartoon, entitled Friendship is Magic.
What used to be Hasbro’s way to sell their toys has become an Internet phenomenon as never seen before.
Despite being a cartoon show about the adventures of six colorful ponies, it’s nothing close to what you’re expecting! It was created by Lauren Faust, who previously worked on cartoons such as Powerpuff Girls and Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends. That pretty much should give you a hint that what I’m talking about just might have something or other that resembles the good-old Cartoon Network shows. Well, to call it something or other would be an understatement. Friendship is Magic has complex and easy to like characters, good humor (in every sense of the word), stories that please people of all ages, the episodes show continuity with each other, and is what nowadays better resembles the cartoon shows from a few years ago. Not to mention the fluid animation, the quality music and songs and the appealing and vibrant art style, all done with Adobe Flash. Talk about potential.
But I’m not the only one who appreciates this. No sir. Who’s reading this has probably already seen one, or two, or thirty things around the web related to these ponies, and has most likely realized that many male teenagers and adults love this cartoon. Yes, it’s true. They’re known as “bronies” (bro+ponies).
If you like animation, art, music, good storytelling, or just want to understand what the fuss is all about, I encourage you to take a look at the show with an open mind. There’s bound to be something there
you’ll like. It’s that good. 😉
I end this post with links for several websites able to explain to who’s confused (as I have also been) the reason for this phenomenon, how it started and what the fans do, and also with links for the first three episodes of the series. The first two are a two-part story, more epic-like, and the third follows the episodes’ general format. Very funny.
Comment inquiry (alrightz!):
What do you think of the whole phenomenon, and the cartoon itself? Is there any brony here? Who’s your favorite pony? Anybody else likes Twilight Sparkle? And who likes Rainbow Dash? She’s great. The show instantly becomes 20% cooler for her being part of it.
– A topic in the Sonic Stadium Board with an English translation of a Portuguese article. (Very well written and exact.)
– Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much
– Know Your Meme
– Brony Appreciation Medley (500 sub video) (An impressive medley and compilation of clips from the show and fans’ works.)
– The Geek Professor: “Why I am a Brony”
– Documentary – Ballad of the Brony
– FAQ do Equestria Daily (especially the second point)
– Yahoo Answers: Why do I like MLP:FiM so much? (another one who is confused)
– Wired: My Little Pony Corrals Unlikely Fanboys Known as ‘Bronies’
– WebCite: Guys’ Interest Mounts in Girly TV Show